599 cyclists fined.
Cyclists can now be issued with fixed notice fines for anything from not having lights to not stopping for red lights.
Since the new fines came into play on the 1st of August last year 599 cyclists have been stopped and fined.
Cyclists stopped and issued with a fixed notice charge will receive a €40 fine in the post and are given 28 days to pay.
Description of Offence Fixed Charge
1. Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration. €40
2. No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle. €40
3. Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area. €40
4. Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated €40
5. Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit. €40
6. Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign. €40
7. Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing. €40